Diabetes and You
"I can't believe I have diabetes! I don't want to change my life!"
Does this sound like you?
- I'm having trouble coping
- I'm ashamed of having a chronic illness
- It seems like a personal failing, a weakness
- I hate having to change my lifestyle to manage the routine
- If I'm honest, I'm self sabotaging my own care
- The "intellectual me" knows what I need to do,
but the "emotional me" gets in the way
- It's tough for me to handle my daily regimen
- I sometimes neglect maintaining my blood sugar
- I often "forget" to eat during the day
Even without Type I or Type II Diabetes, life is hard enough. Your life changes with this diagnosis . . . ask anyone who has been diagnosed. Sometimes seeking help with a psychotherapist who is a Diabetes Specialist who appreciates the emotional ramifications of this disease can set you on the right track, emotionally and physically.
Together we can:
- Evaluate the emotional hit this diagnosis may have caused
- Navigate moving your life forward despite having this diagnosis
- Help you pilot your self-care more fruitfully
- Determine the merit of any self-care sabotage
- Support you in shifting self-defeating behaviors
- Craft a stress reduction plan
- Create better attuned balance in your life
- Develop a treatment team of a diabetes certified nutritionist, endocrinologist, and exercise physiologist
Self determination is important for everyone. Life is not over with this diagnosis, but it has to be navigated thoughtfully. One can live a rich and full life with some shifts. In addition to the qualifiers of your food intake, emotions and mood can affect blood sugars, and blood sugars can affect your moods and emotions. Gaining a deep appreciation of your emotional life and its stressors can help you gain mastery and lessen their impact on your body. This knowledge may require that you learn tools to cope with your stressors. This can be done in individual or group psychotherapy.
I'd be happy to offer you a confidential consultation at your earliest convenience. Contact me.
Photos above by permission of Getty Images — download, republication, retransmission, reproduction, or other use, of these images prohibited.